Information is available about the current state of the NIF Import Tree
- Download and install the latest version of Protege
- 4.x from this URL: http://protege.stanford.edu/download/registered.html. When choosing components during the installation, choose 'Everything'.
NOTE: We are still using Protege 3.X although there is a new release of 4.0 which we have been exploring. NIFSTD ontologies are loadable and viewable in Protege 4 but it runs into some issues while saving them using this version. Protege 3.X uses RDF/XML whereas 4.0 is using OWL/XML. This theoretically will create less bugs and issues, but we aren't totally there yet. (Something just to note) We have been using OWL 1 and Protege 4 is using OWL 2.
- If you are new with Protege 4.x: http://
- Protege4GettingStarted (a resource that explains how the OWL language and ontologies interacts with Protege)
- -OWL 4.x Frequently Asked Questions: http://protegewiki.stanford.edu/wiki/Protege-OWL_4_FAQ
- Protege feedback forums: https://mailman.stanford.edu/mailman/listinfo/p4-feedback
Notepad++ URL: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm
Also, if you don't want to look at the ontologies in Protege, you can either look at them in Notepad++ or in your internet browser.
Loading Specific NIF Module(s)
The current NIF owl modules with their URLs PURLs are listed below.
- Open Protege and select New Project
- Click the checkbox for "Create from existing source" and highlight "OWL/RDF Files"
- Load NIF-BACKEND (http://purl.org/nif/ontology/Backend/nif_backend.owl) which contains all the upper level ontologies and annotation properties
- In Metadata tab locate the ontology browser on the left and click the first button on the top (mouse over the button says "Import Ontology...")
- Select "Import an ontology from the web by specifying the http:// ... URL"
- Enter the URL of the NIF module you wish to view
- Repeat step 4 to 6 if you want to view additional module(s) together
In order to view the rdfs:label of classes and properties (aka, the recognizable names and not the IDs):
- Click on Forms tab
- Under OWL menu, navigate to Preferences
- Under Visibility tab, click "All" under Metaclasses and then close window.
- In the Forms tab, you will see owl:Thing and then rdfs:class and rdf:Property. For the following, you will change the display slot in the form editor (just to the left) to "rdfs:label"
- If you wish, you can go back to the visibility tab and uncheck "all" but that is up to you.
- Select File-->Preferences..--> Renderer
- Under 'Entity rendering', select 'Render by annotation property' (e.g., rdfs:label, skos:prefLabel)
Now you will be able to view all the preferred labels for both classes and properties.